The family of Halyna Hutchins are to proceed with suing Alec Baldwin in a civil case after the involuntary manslaughter charges against him were dropped.
Actor Baldwin, 64, had been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in relation to the death of the cinematographer on the set of his film Rust in 2021.
The mother-of-one was killed on set after the gun Baldwin was holding accidentally discharged.
Baldwin has always maintained that he wasn’t aware that the weapon contained a live round, and pleaded not guilty to the charges; weeks ahead of the preliminary hearing, the charges were suddenly dropped on Thursday, leading to Baldwin issuing a short and relieved statement.
Special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis submitted paperwork to dismiss the charges without prejudice, however they can re-file the case at a later point in the investigation.
Now Hutchins’ family have confirmed they will continue their civil lawsuit against the actor, even as criminal charges have been dismissed.
Legal representatives for the family said on Friday that Baldwin could not ‘escape from the fact that he had a major role in a tragedy.’
US lawyer Gloria Allred said she was ‘committed to proceeding’ with the civil lawsuit, in a statement seen by PA.
‘Despite the prosecutor’s decision to dismiss the criminal charge against Alec Baldwin without prejudice, the victims of Alec Baldwin that we represent remain hopeful,” she said in a statement.
‘Mr Baldwin has tried to dismiss our civil case against him, and he has failed.
‘(He) should know that we remain committed to fighting and winning for our clients and holding him accountable for pointing a loaded gun at Halyna Hutchins, pulling the trigger, and killing her.’
The statement continued: ‘Mr Baldwin may pretend that he is not responsible for pulling the trigger and ejecting a live bullet which ended Halyna’s life.
‘He can run to Montana and pretend that he is just an actor in a wild west movie but, in real life, he cannot escape from the fact that he had a major role in a tragedy which had real-life consequences for Halyna, her mother, father, sister, and co-worker.
‘No matter where Alec Baldwin goes… he cannot escape responsibility for his role in shooting and killing Halyna, who was a young mother, a belove d daughter, a loving sister, and an admired co-worker.
‘We look forward to seeing Alec Baldwin in court where a jury will decide if Alec Baldwin is just a movie star or a defendant who should be held accountable for the tragic death of Halyna Hutchins.’
It comes after Baldwin headed to Montana this week to continue work on the film, with production resuming for the first time since the tragedy.
Baldwin’s lawyers told Metro.co.uk in a statement following the news the charges had been dropped: ‘We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident.’
The production’s armourer, Hannah Guttierez-Reed, was also facing involuntary manslaughter charges and had pleaded not guilty.
Deadline reports that these have not been dropped, meaning the probe has been ‘kept open’.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
MORE : New Rust set unveiled after production resumes as Alec Baldwin’s involuntary manslaughter charges dropped
MORE : Prosecutors warn Alec Baldwin’s dropped charges ‘do not absolve’ him of criminal culpability in death of Halyna Hutchins
First appear at Alec Baldwin to still be sued by family of Halyna Hutchins after involuntary manslaughter charges dropped