Andrew Lloyd Webber’s son is ‘critically ill’ with gastric cancer.
The 74-year-old Phantom of the Opera composer said he’s ‘praying’ his eldest son Nicholas – who he shares with first wife Sarah Hugill – ‘turns a corner’ in his battle with the disease, but in the meantime, Andrew said he will be joining his family by 43-year-old composer Nicholas’ bedside.
The theatre icon confirmed this means he’ll miss the Broadway opening of his latest production Bad Cinderella on Thursday.
Andrew announced in a statement: ‘I am absolutely devastated to say that my eldest son Nick is critically ill.
‘As my friends and family know, he has been fighting gastric cancer for the last 18 months and Nick is now hospitalised.’
The doting dad went on: ‘I therefore have not been able to attend the recent previews of Bad Cinderella and as things stand, I will not be able to cheer on its wonderful cast, crew and orchestra on Opening Night this Thursday.
‘We are all praying that Nick will turn the corner. He is bravely fighting with his indomitable humour, but at the moment my place is with him and the family.’
Nicholas is a successful composer and producer in his own right, having been nominated for Grammy Awards.
He is best known for scoring the drama series love , Lies and Records and 2021 movie The Last Bus, and he co-produced and mixed the original 2021 London cast album for Cinderella, the previous title for Bad Cinderella.
Bad Cinderella is the latest musical Andrew has composed.
Andrew is famously the composer behind Broadway’s longest-running production of all time, The Phantom of the Opera, which will close next month.
Last month, it was confirmed that Andrew would compose a new anthem for King Charles’ coronation.
Following the death of Queen Elizabeth II in September, the King will be crowned on May 6 at Westminster Abbey in a celebration set to be watched by millions across the world.
First appear at Andrew Lloyd Webber announces son Nicholas, 43, is ‘critically ill’ with cancer